The benefits of blog hops are many. Sometimes called link-up parties, hops are a great way to meet other writers/bloggers and build your author community; gain traffic and engagement on your site; and I’ve even seen them used as a tool in virtual book launch tours.
Here’s my list of ongoing, everyone-is-welcome blog hops for authors:
- #AuthorToolboxBlogHop: I host this monthly hop on the theme of resources and learning for authors. All authors at all stages of their careers are welcome to join, and we hop the third Wednesday of every month. (one-time sign-up)
- Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop: The monthly #IWSG hop is a community of supportive writers, a place to express insecurities. Those who have been through the fire can offer guidance. Hop to it the first Wednesday of every month. (one-time sign-up)
- Storytime Blog Hop: The #StorytimeBlogHop writers treat one another to spec fic flash fiction four times annually. (pre-registration required for each edition)
- Write…Edit…Publish Blog Hop: The WEP bi-monthly hop is a 1,000-word writing contest with prompts provided and a critique element after posts are published. (sign-up required in advance of each event)
- #AtoZchallenge Blog Hop: This annual marathon hop happens every April. The challenge is to blog daily until you’ve written about your chosen theme from A to Z. (read instructions for how to participate in hop)
- Kid Lit Blog Hop: This monthly hop is for people who love everything that has to do with children’s literature (YA inclusive, I believe.) Bloggers, authors, publicists, publishers—everyone is welcome to join. Hopping takes place the third Wednesday of every month. (one-time sign-up)
- Weekend Writing Warriors Blog Hop: WeWaWri hoppers share an 8-10 sentence snippet of their writing weekly. Posts need to be linked up between 12pm on Saturday 9am on Sunday. The purpose of the hop is to read, critique, and comment on everyone’s #8sunday posts. (weekly sign-up)
- Celebrate the Small Things Blog Hop: This weekly hop on Fridays is to celebrate the small things, whether they be writing or reading related, or anything else you want to show appreciation for. (one-time sign-up)
- Do you have a (writing) goal? Blog Hop: For this monthly blog hop on the last Friday of every month, update your fellow hoppers on where you’re at with achieving your writing or publishing goal. (one-time sign-up)
- #WritingWednesdays Blog Hop: A weekly hop with optional prompts. (weekly sign-up)
- Six Sentence Stories: This weekly hop on Thursdays gives participants a cue to incorporate in their six-sentence stories. (weekly sign-up)
- #FlashFicHive: Every two months, participants posts weekly pieces of flash fiction according to a set of fairly involved criteria. (no sign-up required, hop to blogs via hashtag)
- #MondayBlogs and SundayBlogShare: Bloggers of all walks of life share their posts weekly on these hashtags with the goal of gaining retweets and traffic to their blogs. I recommend observing the etiquette set out here.
If I’m missing any author hops, please add them in the comments, and I’ll move them up into the post proper. Also, because I started a blog hop for authors two months ago, I’d love to hear your opinion on what does and doesn’t work in the hops you’ve participated in. Help me make my hop better!
Speaking of blog hops, I wrote this post for the Insecure Writers Support Group hop, and there’s more hopping goodness to be had. Check out the full list of blog links here.